July 9, 2013
NILL added new content to 7 Indian Law Bulletins on 7/9
John v. U.S. (subsistence hunting and fishing)
M.J. ex rel. Beebe v. U.S. (sovereign immunity)
* United States Federal Trial Courts Bulletin
Mastro v. Seminole Tribe of Florida (tribal sovereign immunity, sexual harassment)
U.S. v. Loera (criminal jurisdiction, definition of Indian)
Jicarilla Apache Nation v. United States (tribal trust funds, breach of fiduciary duties)
* State Courts Bulletin
State of Minnesota v. Saros (traffic violation, jurisdiction)
In re S.E. (Indian Child Welfare Act, notice)
In re H.M.W. (Indian Child Welfare Act, termination of parental rights)
* News Bulletin
In the "Tribal Government" section, we feature an article on a movement underway by tribes to re-examine their constitutions.
* Law Review & Bar Journal Indian Law Bulletin
We feature an article on constitutional preemption and the relationship between Public Law 280 and federalism.
* Regulatory Bulletin
We feature a notice of the Department of Education, American Indian Vocational Rehabilitation Services Program requesting tribal consultation and comments regarding the definition of "reservation" in section 121(c) of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
* U.S. Legislation Bulletin
Four new bills were added:
1) S.954 - Agriculture Reform, Food, and Jobs Act of 2013
2) H.R.2319 - Native American Veterans' Memorial Amendments Act of 2013
3) H.R.2388 - To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to take certain Federal lands located in El Dorado County, California, into trust for the benefit of the Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians, and for other purposes.
4) S.156 - Huna Tlingit Traditional Gull Egg Use Act
5) H.R.2442 - Duwamish Tribal Recognition Act